The question many of you may have. Or maybe you are wondering how we came to the decision to adopt.
Let me start by saying that I love and appreciate all the support we have gotten in the last week. Marcus and I are in a great place now. That is why I am reaching out and sharing our story. I am sharing so other women are not so alone through the process of trying to have a baby. So many women have reached out to me, and it is heartbreaking to hear so many women’s stories of their struggles to get pregnant. You are all so brave to reach out, and I want you all to know I am here for anything you need. If I make some good friends through this process, at least there will be a good thing that came from infertility.
Marcus and I have always wanted to adopt. It has always been part of the plan. I had a dream (yes, really. I had a dream) that we were picking up our daughter we adopted from the airport. I know that is not how it works anymore, but I can’t control my dreams. My high school principal was also the person who brought the baby off the plane to us. Not exactly realistic, but it felt so real to me.
Anyway, I woke Marcus up in the middle of the night. The feeling I had when our baby was handed to us was nothing like anything I had felt before. I woke up, and I couldn’t get rid of the feeling. I had to share it with Marcus. I’m not even sure he was awake. There was a “hmm” and “weird” before he fell back to sleep.
I spent the rest of the night googling adoption. I spent the next couple weeks researching adoption. I knew it was the right thing. Marcus agreed. As we kept talking about it, it made so much sense. Here’s why:
- We have always wanted to adopt!
- We did not think we were emotionally ready to go through IUI or IVF and have it fail.
- We will most likely be moving in another year. We did not want to start the process of fertility treatments in St. Louis and have to switch doctors/facilities/medical insurance etc. in the middle.
- We have always seen ourselves having a big family. My awesome sister sent me a link to a blog talking about the benefits to adopting first. It makes so much sense to a child development person like me! http://www.rageagainsttheminivan.com/2015/11/always-thought-about-adopting-heres-why.html#ixzz3r1owOdx5
- We believe everything happens for a reason. We know our baby is out there. We just have to be patient as God is the only one who knows our plan.
That’s why we’re adopting. We are not broken. We are so ready for this. We did not make this decision lightly, and we know Baby Hemi will be so, so loved.